Sunday, March 17, 2013

If This Is Tuesday, It Must Be ...

I am always stimulated by my travels to Asia, and this March Break is no exception. With my colleague Rebecca Llewellyn, and at various times with colleagues Esther Kim ’05 and Katherine Fung-Surya, we are spending time in Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Hong Kong, Seoul and Tokyo. I write this post on the plane from Tokyo to Hong Kong – about to land in our fifth city in seven days!

I have been to Asia about two dozen times, and now feel very comfortable in many of the cultures and cities. Particularly at the Royal Garden Hotel in Tsim Tsa Tsui, Kowloon (with its enchanting view of Hong Kong Island,) and at spectacular Mission Hills Golf resort owned by my good friends Dr. Ken and Tenniel Chu, I have a great sense of being at home and connection.
In Asia I find that I am constantly learning new things and understanding new nuances about the issues, perspectives, and cultures. There is no doubt that my views of world dynamics, multiculturalism and educational priorities have been powerfully shaped by my time here and my interactions with some remarkable friends from this part of the world. Certainly this trip is no exception.  This is my first trip here on behalf of Appleby, so there is the new wrinkle of meeting many new people and receiving most generous, warm welcomes by Appleby parents and alumni.
On this trip, I am struck by three things in particular, relating to differences and similarities:
1.       Once again, it is striking how westerners mistakenly group Asian cultures together into one. In fact, while there may be some similarities, the differences between Hong Kong Chinese culture and Korean culture, or between Japanese culture and mainland Chinese culture are at least as wide as those between American culture and, for instance, Korean culture. As Canadians, we are particularly sensitive about differences between Canadian and US cultures, while my friends from Atlantic Canada and Quebec are also (very!) quick to point out that their cultures are very different than that of Toronto.

Westerners, in general, and North Americans, in particular, have a long way to go to better understand these Asian differences and their implications for our future. I take great comfort that our children’s generation, especially Appleby students, have a massive head-start over my own generation. And in the decades ahead, this understanding will undoubtedly be a hallmark of great leadership, regardless of field.

2.      The flip side of appreciating differences is seeing similarities. While in Shanghai, we had the opportunity to stop in briefly at Bi Le Middle School (a top Shanghai local school.) Students from Bi Le were hosting students from Appleby and Melbourne’s Ivanhoe Grammar School on an intercultural exchange. Shanghai was their first stop, before heading off to Sian and Beijing. It was great to see our Grade 9 students and colleagues Fraser Grant ’87 and Sheila Kuyper.

We watched a program where students from each school gave presentations on their countries and schools, then discussed what life is like in each country. While they spend lots of time focusing on differences, I was just as struck by how similar these 14 and 15-year olds were in terms of their humour, their concerns, their habits – including reaction to Canadian exports like” the Beebs.”  So many aspects of being a teenager transcend culture.

3.      On a similar note, while North American educators often talk about cultural differences in dealing with parents of students from various parts of the world, parents from different backgrounds share many more traits than not. Part of this trip has been meeting parents one-on-one and in small groups to talk about their children and about their Appleby experiences. Many of these conversations have been stereotype-busters. I have been delighted to hear universally positive reports from parents, knowing that many wonder about things like: How is my daughter fitting in? Is my son working hard enough? What about universities? Does my daughter clean her room? I want my son to experience some real challenge/failure to prepare for life. Most of these conversations could be easily transposed for those I have with Oakville families.

At the end of the day, I think that almost all parents want two things – for their children to be known and embraced by the school community for who they are, and for their children to be cared for in terms of program, culture and support. Once again, while the “hows” may look different, these core values transcend nationality and culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment