Friday, February 8, 2013

Rabbitnose Anticipation

I’ve just returned from Appleby’s northern (outdoor education) campus on Rabbitnose Island in the beautiful Temagami region of Northern Ontario. I was there with the first group of 46 Grade 10 students for their winter outdoor adventure week. Over the next month, all of the Grade 10 students will be there for what is one of the most special and unique aspects of their Appleby journey. What an experience!

For me, the return to Temagami was one filled with great expectations and a healthy dollop of nostalgia. While I have passed through Temagami a couple of times in the last 20 years, my nostalgia related to two visits there during my school years. The first was in winter of Grade 9. A group of school mates were taken up by a faculty member to stay at a lodge (run by a family called the Plumtrees, as I recall) on Lake Temagami over March Break. That trip was memorable for many reasons, and not just because we made the six-hour journey each way sitting on the floor in the back of an Econoline panel van. We spent time in historic Cobalt – the site of one of North America’s great silver rushes (for a while, we were told, Toronto was known as the place you catch the train to Cobalt.) We visited a large open pit mine (iron, I think;) spent the better part of a day on Bear Island (a First Nation community in the middle of Lake Temagami), and particularly in the Bear Island school; went ice fishing, lots of snowmobiling, hiking, snowshoeing, and were even taken up in a small bush plane to fly over the area. I recall seeing a couple of moose trampling through the bush from the air. The idea that some of the people we met were completely isolated on their islands for weeks at a time in the late fall and spring during the freeze and as the ice went out was a completely alien concept for city people.
The Appleby international experience programs are one of our great strengths. From what I have seen across Canada and internationally, it would be judged as a great hallmark program, with the “cap” being the Appleby Diploma in Global Leadership. One aspect of the program is intercultural trips for Grade 9s into countries in order for them to understand ways of life, history, culture and different perspectives.   For me, this trip was my first cultural orientation to Northern Ontario. While we often talk about regional differences in the Canadian landscape, for instance between French Canada and English Canada or Calgary versus Vancouver, in some ways the greatest divide may be between urban and rural Canada.
The second visit was on a canoe trip with a group of close friends from my days in the scouting movement. We used to trip on a regular basis, but this one, which started on Lake Temagami and was focused mainly on the Lady Evelyn system to the north of the big lake, was particularly memorable for one reason. It was there in the early fall where we saw a raft (apparently the proper the collective noun) of loons – maybe 50 or 60 – swimming together in the middle of the lake. This was the first and only time I have seen such a sight and it still stands out as one of the magical wildlife highlights for me.
So I headed up to Rabbitnose full of anticipation about revisiting this beautiful part of our country, as well as a blend of intrigue and anxiety about how well my winter camping skills (I used to do fair bit of it in my younger years) have held up over the last 30 years. My standard line has been that whatever rustiness in my skills is likely more than well compensated for by my increased insulation!
As I pulled up next to the bus of students and started to unpack at the government dock, the ice road that launched out onto the broad white plain of Lake Temagami was starting to be framed by a hazy, drizzly mist. And so started my initiation into the Appleby Rabbitnose experience ….
(I will write more about the week and the lore of Rabbitnose in my next post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment