Thursday, November 1, 2012

Sugar Man


One of the early pieces of advice I received before I started at Appleby was to meet with the school’s auditor, lawyer, and major partners. So, last week I had the pleasure of having lunch with our lawyer, Eric Roher of BLG, a national leader in the field of education law.
Aside from all the interesting work chat, Eric told me about a fascinating story from the music world that captivated him. It is the story of a singer-songwriter named Sixto Rodriguez and a documentary called Searching for Sugar Man.
According to the Sugar Man website, “After his two critically acclaimed, early-1970s albums flopped in the United States, Rodriguez all but vanished from the music scene. But copies of those records found their way to South Africa, where they became, unbeknownst to him, the soundtrack to the anti apartheid movement.” He was “bigger than Elvis” there. The documentary film-maker set out to tell Rodriguez’s story (he is very much a Bob Dylan-like figure) and find out the circumstances of his death. The unbelievable story has helped spur on the most recent rediscovery of the artist.
Eric told me about the story’s twists and turns - it sounds fascinating. I can’t wait to see the documentary. (I heard that 60 Minutes also did a recent piece on the story.)
In the meantime, I managed to find a few of Rodriguez’s songs online and recommend them to you. It is great stuff and hard to figure out how they didn’t catch the imagination of North America 40 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment